When it comes to wedding flowers, most people think of traditional arrangements with fresh blooms. However, an increasing number of couples are choosing sola wood bouquets for their big day.
Sola wood is a natural material made from the fibrous cores of tree branches. The soft, straw-like texture and delicate coloration make sola wood a beautiful choice for wedding flowers. Not only is it a more environmentally friendly option than traditional floral bouquets, but it also requires far less maintenance, making it a convenient choice for busy brides and florists alike.
Here are some tips on how to prepare and care for sola wood bouquets to keep them looking their best during the big day and beyond.
Sola Wood Bouquets and Arrangements for Weddings
Sola wood bouquets are a beautiful and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional floral arrangements. If you're considering sola wood for your wedding, there are three main things you should keep in mind.
- First, sola wood is a natural material, so each piece is unique and may vary subtly in color and texture. This means that your bouquet will have its own one-of-a-kind look that will be different from any other sola wood bouquet out there. Although generally, you should expect that sola wood flowers typically start as white, and you can dye or paint them according to your style or theme.
- Second, sola wood is a very soft, lightweight material, so your bouquet will be much lighter than a traditional floral arrangement. The petals don't feel as fragile as fresh flowers, but they're extremely pleasant to the touch.
- Finally, sola wood bouquets will last much longer than traditional floral arrangements. In fact, with proper care, sola wood bouquets can literally last for decades. Sola wood is not susceptible to wilting or fading, so you won't have to worry about your bouquet looking unfresh throughout the entire day. Plus, sola wood bouquets are easy to store and can be kept as mementos long after your wedding day has passed, making wonderful heirlooms to pass down to future generations.
From bridal bouquets and bridesmaids' bouquets to boutonnieres and centerpieces, sola wood flowers are a beautiful and unique choice for your wedding's floral arrangements.
Before the Wedding
Start by selecting the sola wood flowers you want to use for your bouquet. Once you have an idea of what you want your bouquet to look like, it's time to start prepping the sola wood flowers.
Painting and Softening Sola Wood Bouquets
If you're working with a florist, they will take care of the preparation for you. However, if you're DIYing your sola wood bouquet or putting together sola wood arrangements yourself, there are a few easy things you can do to prepare your sola wood bouquets for the big day. Mainly, you will want to paint and soften your sola wood flowers.
- Painting sola wood flowers is a great way to achieve a uniform look for your bouquet or arrangement. As we mentioned before, each sola wood flower is unique, so they will naturally vary slightly in color and texture. By using latex paint or fabric dye to paint them, you can ensure that all of your sola wood flowers match in color and create a cohesive look for your bouquet or arrangement.
- Softening sola wood flowers is also important if you want your bouquet or arrangement to have a natural, lifelike appearance. To soften sola wood flowers, you will soak them in a glycerin and water mixture. This will help to make the petals more flexible and pliable, so they resemble fresh flowers more closely.
At Luv Sola Flowers, we've tested and come up with the two best methods to paint and soften sola wood flowers. Check out this blog for step-by-step instructions for both!
Assembling Sola Wood Bouquets
Once your sola wood flowers are painted and softened, you're ready to start assembling your bouquet! This is the fun part where you get to be creative and put your own personal touch on your sola wood arrangement.
To assemble a sola wood bouquet, you will need the following supplies:
- Your sola wood flowers and fillers
- Floral wire
- Wire cutters
- Ribbon and other accessories (optional)
With your bouquet design in mind, begin wiring the sola wood flowers together. You can wire them tightly together for a more compact, opulent bouquet or leave some space in between the sola wood flowers to later fill with greenery for a more relaxed, lush look.
Once your sola wood flowers are all wired together, you can begin adding in your fillers. Fillers can be anything from dried baby's breath and greenery to lace. Finally, once your sola wood bouquet is complete, you can add any finishing touches, like ribbon or rhinestones. And that's it! You now have a beautiful sola wood bouquet that will last forever.
After the Wedding: Preserving Sola Wood Bouquets
Your sola wood bouquet is a keepsake that you will want to treasure forever. If you want to ensure that your sola wood bouquet lasts, there are some simple storage tips you can follow to preserve it.
The most important thing to do is keep your sola wood bouquet out of direct sunlight and away from any sources of heat. Heat and light will cause the sola wood flowers to fade and discolor over time, so it's best to avoid them if possible.
Another thing you can do to preserve your sola wood bouquet is to keep it in a cool, dry place. A closet or cabinet away from windows is ideal. You can also put your sola wood bouquet in a box or container with a lid to keep it dust-free. If ever your bouquet accumulates dust, you can use a hairdryer on the cool setting from a distance to lightly blow the dust off. You may also use a small, soft makeup brush to gently dust hard-to-reach areas.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your sola wood bouquet will last forever and be a beautiful reminder of that one special day.
Browse Materials for Sola Wood Bouquets
Luv Sola Flowers offers a wide variety of sola wood flowers, fillers, and accessories to help you create the perfect sola wood bouquets and arrangements. Check out our website today and get started on your sola wood project!